P C Henderson Supports Earth Day 2019
by Kate Donkin on 23/04/2019
Last week, P C Henderson employees pledged their support in aid of Earth Day 2019.
Celebrated on the 22nd April, Earth Day is an annual event which aims to encourage global collaboration to support efforts in favour of sustainability. Founded in 1970, more than 1 billion people across 190 countries now participate in Earth Day. Next year, the network will celebrate its 50 year anniversary!
In support of this annual event P C Henderson pulled together to pledge ways to help raise awareness of the importance of sustainability. Of those who participated:
- 62% pledged to complete 10,000 steps – walking contributes to your recommended weekly exercise of 2.5 hours per week. Get your 10,000 steps in and make sure you keep healthy.
- 54% pledged to switch off their screen at lunchtime – computers use a lot of electricity, leaving it on when you’re not using it wastes energy – resulting in totally unnecessary carbon emissions
- 38% pledged to bring an office plant to work – indoor plants can reduce carbon dioxide levels, increase humidity, reduce airborne dust levels and keep air temperatures down – as well as making for an attractive working environment
- 31% pledged to donate unwanted clothes to charity – on average 30% of what’s in our wardrobes haven’t been worn for a year and on average a charity shop earns £4 per pair of trousers
- 23% pledged to go vegetarian for the day and eat local produce – enjoying the fresh taste of local food can help you dramatically slim down your carbon footprint
- 23% pledged to go paper free for the day – roughly 26% of waste in dumping sites is discarded paper. By reducing your paper usage, you cannot only help to reduce waste but also save trees
- 8% pledged to walk, run or cycle to work – switching your journey from petrol power to pedal/leg power is not only a great way to get fit but also to save money and reduce your carbon footprint in the process
- 8% pledged to car share to work – filling a spare seat in your car with a friendly face can help ease congestion and reduce your carbon footprint.
Alongside these pledges, P C Henderson is also installing water hippos into the toilet cisterns to reduce the amount of water that is flushed each time the handle is pulled – this could save up to 930,000 litres of water per year.
To read more about Earth day and show your support, please click here.